Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Vacation Odyssey Pt. 2 The Trauma

The EMT guys gave me a shot of morphine and whisked me to the nearest hospital with my wife and sis in law and neice and her son following in their car. They brought me to a small hospital known as a "sustainable" hospital because they only had 67 beds and treated immediate short term cases. An all female x-ray team took x-rays of both my legs and the doctor downloaded them on his I-phone and showed them to my wife and me immediately. I marveled at the technology. It showed the tibia in my right leg was broken in half and ankle also broken. Both ankles and the bone connecting them in my left leg was broken also. I was lucky to be alive.I could have drowned, Icould have been paralyzed or could have had my neck broken. Instead I survived with two broken legs which is curable over time. It wasn't my time to go yet.

The Doctor suggested I be transported to Penninsula Regional Hospital in Salsbury, Md. about 45 minutes away as they had excellent trauma teams there that could treat me immediately so we agreed. In the ambulance they gave me another shot of morphine and my wife rode up front with the female driver while the rest of my family followed. Tt was dark and the dead of night.

Once at the larger hospital, I was ushered in and given immediate attention. They took x-rays again and the woman x-ray tech said she hoped I got Dr.Huber as he was so excellent and she worked with him in the operating room for three years. She told us she she's seen him work on bones that were completely smashed and put them back together again. She also informed us that he just got back from volunteering in Haiti for a week thru Doctors Without Borders. That said alot to me about him. She also said she wanted to get his name tatooed on her back just in case something happened to her so they would know who to take her too. :D

Sure enough,the next morning I got Dr.Huber. He was the nicest, kindest and most modest Dr.I ever met. He also told you like it was. I told him I heard a lot of wonderful things about him and he replied smiling like a little kid saying,"All lies." He told me it was a tough surgery and he didn't know if he could get both legs at the same time as there was a time limit with the anesthesia, but he would try. I went in at 1 pm and the surgery lasted until 6 pm. He told me he got both legs and everything went fine. I had a rod put in my right leg along with plates and screws in my right leg and some screws and plates in my left leg with a hard cast on my left lower leg and foot.

The next several days I became the talk of the hospital with everyone from doctors, nurses, food carriers and even cleaning people all asking "How did this happen?" and I always obliged them with the story. I was told this was one of the best hospitals in the state and Dr.Huber one of the best doctors. I agree.

Everyone was so kind and responsive to all my needs there. Dr.Huber and the staff all wanted me to stay there for follow up and therapy and I wanted to stay there,but our insurance wouldn't allow for out of state therapy so we had to find a place in New Jersey. I chose kessler Institute which is near where we live and has several branches throughout the state and is rated No. 2 in the country. A facility in Chicago is rated No. 1 I was told. I also knew people who were there and raved about the place so I went there.

No comments: