Saturday, May 14, 2011

Freedom's Not Free-Mermorial Day

Every year around Memorial Day I stop and reflect more than usual on the brave men and women who have fought and are fighting for our freedoms here. I especially reflect and thank the people who served and are serving in my immediate circle.

First there is my late father who served in the army/air corps as it was known then. He was stationed stateside in North Carolina. His twin brother, my Uncle Herb was a tank commander in France in WW11 and was killed in action as he was getting out of his tank and was hit by schrapnel. Since he was killed before I was born I never knew him, but was always shown pictures of him and heard about him that I felt like I knew him.

Then there was my late father-in-law Charlie who was in the marines and two weeks after he got out Pearl Harbor was bombed so he joined the army/air corps and flew bombing missions over Germany. Once he got a few beers in him, he would never tire of telling us many inside stories that you don't read about in the history books. We liked to say he kicked Hitler's ass. :D I often told my wife she should have recorded him for posterity.

I myself served six years in the army reserves towards the end of the Vietnam war. I was stationed in Ft .Jackson, South Carolina during the summer for my basic training and received jungle warfare training. I never left my state of New Jersey the entire time.

Then there are my current online buddies. First retired marine colonel J Karl Miller who served bravely in Vietnam and wounded several times. I learned and continue to learn a lot from his weekly columns in his hometown newspaper he sends out to us all. Then there is our friend Nikki who is currently serving in the Navy and recently was appointed to the rank of Chief. Nikki has served bravely and valiently in Iraq and Afghanistan training our troops and is also a beautiful woman. Thank you for your service Karl and Nikki, we salute you.

Below are two links by Ron and Kay Rivoli of the Rivoli Revue to their song Freedom is not Free. Both are the same song but different videos paying tribute to and saluting our troops. Please check them out.

Some gave all,
They paid the price
for Freedoms here
they sacrificed
They gave their lives
for you and me
Their graves remind us Freedom's not free.

YouTube - Freedom's Not Free/Memorial Day

YouTube - "Freedom's Not Free" The Rivoli Revue



No comments: